Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 583 times)

JANE

• View Profile
Introduction
« on: August 16, 2017, 02:17:54 PM »
Hi

My name is Jane and I have had essential tremor for at least ten years.  Also have Hashimotos. I have just had a normal MRI and Datscan and have bern told if it gets worse I can have DBS which I dont want.  I have learned that there is a new procedure called MRI guided ultrasound which hascbeen developed by a Dr Bain and others at Imperial Hospital and Charing Cross, London.  They have done trials.  Anyone know about this?

Jane 8)

DJC

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 01:51:45 PM »
Hi Jane

Welcome! I will find out in more detail :)

D

Kitty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 02:36:38 PM »
Hi Jane,

There is some information on the NTF website about Ultra-sound guided MRI that might answer any questions you have.

Take care

Kitty

KenL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 08:33:29 PM »
Hi Jane, I took part in the clinical trial of MRI-guided focussed ultrasound in June.    Treatment took place at St. Mary's Paddington and was supervised by Dr. Bain.    Currently, just 1 side of the brain is treated and for me, the treatment has been a great success.    My left hand (I am left-handed) continues to be tremor-free and, as you can imagine, it is such a freedom to eat and drink without spillages and to feel that I can carry a full mug from  A to B confidently.    The treatment is fairly painless - the most painful part is the fitting of the water-cooled helmet to keep your head cool during the time that the ultrasound is being fired at your brain.    The treatment does involve having your head shaved so you would need to investigate wigs beforehand.     Side effects were:    * feeling more tired especially after busy days     * some loss of balance - I have not risked riding my bike since the treatment.
Contact me if you want to know more.    Ken

DJC

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 03:31:06 PM »
Hi Ken Welcome to the forum!