Author Topic: Sickness at work  (Read 795 times)

Merane

• View Profile
Sickness at work
« on: June 11, 2017, 11:06:34 PM »
Not sure if I am posting in the right place or if I should be doing this in the general section but here goes.

I currently work as in the Maternity unit as a Support Worker I'm also seconded to the Research team for two shifts. I four years ago I was assessed by occupational health to ensure I can fulfil my role safely. They recommended quite rightly that I no longer obtain blood samples. Apart from that and putting in some adaptions to how I work & taking me off night shifts. I was ok'd to continue working so long as I inform the shift manager on days where I feel my tremors are worse and let them know if there are any duties I feel I can't undertake. I continue to do this on a shift to shift basis & it works.

However I have had a few flare ups where my tremors have been so bad I have really struggled, and have been unable to work. These flare ups are unpredictable, I can't seem to identify a set a trigger. They can last from a few hours to a few days. Unfortunately my work has implemented a new sickness policy which works on points. The shorter time you have off the more points you get, they are trying to deter people having a few days off with colds/bugs etc. Unfortunately I have had two separate days off through my tremors in the last 6 months which has given me high points.

I have been invited to a sickness clinic for a review, with the matron & HR. I do not deal with these situations very well, I can be perfectly calm until I get in the room then nerves & stress levels hit the roof & I fall to pieces. I am scared, I might make the situation worse.

MargaretB

• View Profile
Re: Sickness at work
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 11:46:22 AM »
I am familiar with the system you are describing, it multiplies the way sickness/absence is seen. If you are in a Union, I would suggest that you see your local Steward, you will find that they will have experience of the system and will no doubt have supported others going through the interview process. Good luck.

Gav

• View Profile
Re: Sickness at work
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 03:22:45 PM »
hi Marane, I agree with MargaretB.  It's very hard when you don't know when the shakes will come on and your bosses need to understand this.

Hope it gets sorted and you can keep us up to date.